Wednesday, April 7, 2010

666 Syndrome

"The world is ending!! Run! Wait! Where do we go?" I find it very funny when I here talk of the end of the world. I mean think about it. The Lord says, "I come quickly." There's also talk of he comes suddenly, "like a thief in the night." Why then would he waste time in giving us signs of the end? Alot of this discussion took place on a rabbit trail in my New Testament Survey class. We spoke of what I dub as the "666 Syndrome"- hence the title of this blog. I thought about just leaving the title as 666 to see how many would freak out, but I then realized- if you don't comment I have no clue as to the reaction. So, then the idea is pointless. My idea as he was discussing the ideals of the end of the world and date setting and "setting the table" was that there's is a verse (and if i take time to look it up i will post it) that talks about him coming as a thief in the night. When a thief comes, do we really know he's coming? So, my idea is that we won't know when he's coming because it's the idea of a thief. My belief is that God wouldn't have allowed it to be put in his word if it's not true or a valid idea. So the idea of a thief is valid, it's literal. He comes like a thief. We will not know. Now, 666 is the evil number. Technically, as my prof said, does that mean we should run like the wind when we see this number. "Ahhhh, you devilish number!" I've always thought it was funny how one number can cause so much turmoil. It's just a number, people. Yes, it does mean something. As my prof said thought, we are not in the tribulation so it really has no real significance other than it is and will be the devil's "magical number". The other thing he brought out besides setting dates is the idea of signs which I also have touched on in this blog. A thief usually does not leave us a sign that he is coming to rob us. It's a surprise. So, in the same aspect, if Christ is coming to rapture the church it'll be a surprise. There is no signs!!! Yes, we are having tragedies. So what? There have always been tragedies. He comes in the twinkling of an eye as a thief. We will not know!!!!!! This goes along with the date idea. My only thought (not my profs thought) is why do you want to know. Does it not scare you? Maybe that's the idea. You wanna be prepared. If it's like a thief, you won't be prepared. I'm sorry. If we are always to be ready to die, we should always be ready to go. You may disagree with me- I'm sorry. I know not everything I say will be right, but neither will everything you say. That's just how I feel. This is my thought. Will I argue? I may. Sometimes I simply just don't have the patience for that. So in the end, God is coming. He is coming quickly. He is coming like a thief in the night. Be ready.

4 comments:

  1. hahaha, i think its funny how people freak out about 666. its just a number! i mean i dont think god or anyone else is going to strike me down, if i go to the store and its my total. i mean is 999 equally as bad because its 666 upside down? i dont think the world is coming to an end, and i dont think there are any signs from a higher being, warning us. i think people are just getting stupider and stupider. i think when the world ends, it will be a bright sunny day, when no one expects it. plus, only one "religion" (mayans- idk their exactly religion) states the date as being the end. i think if it was true, another religion would have had the same belief in it, most religions do have similar beliefs...ex: higher being, a utopia, etc..

    this is whitney by the way... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiatt???

    there are other's who have come up with dates. other countries, other people. my prof told us alot of them this morning. if i have time i'll look up the list of all the different dates.

    my point was...it's really funny how people just freak out about a simple number. that's why i put it as the title. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh trust me i know. i think its hilarious. my dad will buy something else if thats his total at the grocery store. i just think its funny... like i said... wouldnt 999 be just as bad? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. verses are 2 peter 3:10, revelation 3:3, and revelation 16:15.

    ReplyDelete